Thursday, January 11, 2007

Hoş geldiniz! (Welcome!)

Amerikalıyım (I am an American) learning Turkish yavaş (slowly). So, bear with me, lütfen (please), while I move at a snail's pace.

To force myself to get on a committed learning schedule, I decided to set up this blog and do something with it every day that involves learning at least one new word each day.

So, here I am, armed with my English-Turkish dictionaries, taking this public step. It puts me on the spot—i.e., my friends can keep tabs on me from afar and crack the whip as needed.

Comments written in Turkish are encouraged and welcomed. I may not understand them for a while but give me time and keep me challenged.

Teşekkür ederim! (Thank you)

Hoşça kalın. (Bye; Cheers; said by the one who is leaving)

Note: My posts will be bilingual for a while. As well as helping my mind adapt to Turkish gradually, I'm keeping my strictly English-speaking friends in mind in the hope that they may pick up a word or two for their next visit to Istanbul.

However, once I give the English equivalent of a word or expression, I won't repeat it since the translation will be somewhere else in my blog. As needed, the translation can be searched easily within my blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merhaba Deniz!!

lovely to see a blog like this!

i will try to check it out regularly and see if i can help you ;)

i am helping people with their Turkish although i am not that experienced yet.

Görüşmek üzere!

Dennis said...

Merhaba Osman!

Any helpful observations are welcome. Teşekkürler! If you're inexperienced, you've come to the right place. So am I! I've already amused my friend with my "I am a typewriter" gaffe.

Speaking of inexperience, görüşmek üzere is new to me. I found that görüşmek means to visit and chat with each other. Üzere apparently means on the point of or for the purpose of. So, I gather that expression means, literally, for the purpose of getting together to talk/chat. Works for me!

Hoşça kal!