Sunday, January 14, 2007

Basics

This morning, I'm just reviewing some basic expressions. Along with reinforcing them in my mind, perhaps some of my friends who'll also be visiting Istanbul again may benefit from seeing how easy some of them are.

Also, during my visit to Istanbul in 2001, I was pleased to see how much goodwill I generated just by knowing a few words of Turkish.

Yes: Evet
No: Hayır

Note: Turkish has two distinct letters— ı and i. That is one without a dot above it and one with a dot above it. The dotless ı is pronounced like the vowel sound in "put" and "book". The dotted i, meanwhile, is pronounced like the vowel sound in "it" or "ee", depending on the particular word. Which sound to use? When in doubt, I'm going with the vowel harmony rule.

Good morning: Günaydın
Hello or hi: Merhaba
Hello or goodbye: İyi günler (Said during the daytime; appropriate to say both when entering and leaving a shop or office.)

Note: I recently activated a language bar on my Windows computer. It allows me to toggle back and forth between English and Turkish characters. Very handy.

Goodbye:
Allaha ısmarladık (Said by the person leaving.)
Güle güle (Said by the person staying.)

Hoşça kalın (Modern, without religious overtones; used by TV announcers, for example.)

Welcome!:
Hoş geldiniz! (Said when you welcome a guest.)
Hoş bulduk! (Said by the arriving guests.)

Good evening: İyi akşamlar

Note: ş is pronounced "sh" as in show.

Good night: İyi geceler

Note: c is pronounced like j (judge) in English. It is never pronounced with a k sound as in "catch" or with an s sound as in "fleece".

Thank you: Teşekkür ederim or Mersi

You're welcome: Bir şey değil

How are you?: Nasılsınız
I am fine, thank you. How are you?: İyiyim, teşekkür ederim. Siz nasılsınız?
(Note: The pronoun siz emphasizes "you" as in "and you, how are you?")

Excuse me: Affedersiniz

I have pleasant memory of using this word on a Turkish trolley. A lovely Turkish woman and I struck up a conversation for the space of my short ride. As I was leaving, trying to get through the normally crowded trolley, I said politely, "Affedersiniz, lütfen" to the passengers. The woman's eyes opened wide with surprise as I said that and then goodbye. I don't clearly recall saying "Allaha ısmarladık" but that would have been an appropriate salutation.

OK: Tamam

Well, tamam, that's it for now.

No comments: