Thursday, February 22, 2007

Question words

Handy words for asking questions:

  • kim? : who?
  • ne? : what?
  • nerede? : where?
  • ne zaman? : when? (literally "what time?")
  • nasıl? : how?
  • kaç tane? : how many?
  • ne kadar? : how much? (literally "what extent?)
In an earlier post, I mentioned this common greeting: How are you?: Nasılsınız?

Let's break that down.

"How?", of course, is "Nasıl?"

The verb "to be" are handled in Turkish as endings: -im, -sin, -siniz, and -ler. Some examples follow:

SingularPlural
ben İngilizim I am Englishbiz İngiliziz we are English
sen İngilizsin You are Englishsiz İngilizsiniz you are English
o İngiliz he/she is Englishonlar İngiliz(ler) they are English

-ler is in brackets because it's usually left out.

Getting back to "Nasılsınız?", it evidently translates literally to "How are?" Apparently, "you" is understood, unless, of course, I'm missing something.

In any event, interesting.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Actually "nasılsınız" would probably translate literally as "How you?" Remember there's no explicit "are." The personal endings are just that – for persons.

Dennis said...

Doh! Thanks again for correcting me. Your comment makes sense. "How are?" didn't sound right when I typed it.

Clearly, I misread my textbook on this topic. It was talking about endings like -siniz in the context of the verb "to be". I blended them together, losing sight of what you point out — i.e., personal endings are for persons.

Thanks again!