Saturday, February 3, 2007

Directions

During my 2001 trip to Turkey, I had to give directions to a taxi driver from a wedding party to my hotel in old Istanbul. He spoke only Turkish. Though I was a little tipsy from the wedding party, I managed to direct the driver to my hotel with only 3 Turkish words:

  • sol: left
  • sağ: right
  • doğru: straight
Of course, it helped that I had paid attention to landmarks during the 6 days of my visit prior to the wedding party.

Lesson learned: Pay attention to your surroundings and learn at least a few key words of your host country.

Other direction words:

  • Go straight.: Doğru gidin.
  • Go back.: Geri gidin.
  • Stop here.: Burada durun.
  • I'm lost.: Kayboldum.
  • Where?: Nerede?
  • To where?: Nereye?
  • Where am I?: Neredeyim?
  • Where is the road to Konya?: Konya yolu nerede?
  • Do you know where Arjantin Avenue is?: Arjantin Caddesi nerede biliyor musunuz?
  • Where are you going? Nereye gidiyorsunuz?
  • We want to go to this address.: Bu adrese gitmek istiyoruz.
  • Is it near? Yakın mı?
  • It is near.: Yakın.
  • Is it far?: Uzak mı?
  • It is very far.: Çok uzak.

No comments: