Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Turkish grammar on the web

Hey, look what I found—basics of Turkish grammar on the web. It's a freakin' gold mine of Turkish study material!

Google is the ever fertile search engine that led me to it. All I needed to do was decide to conduct a search on "Turkish grammar". This puppy was the first hit.

I decided to do the search because I was in the midst of practicing my Turkish via Rosetta Stone (RS). I found myself wanting to understand a point of grammar more clearly. RS is mainly a lot of pictures with Turkish words with the idea, apparently, being that you'll learn ostensively -- i.e., via showing you a thing or action and placing with it the appropriate word or words along with how they sound. Very helpful for this novice.

However, I also want to understand things. So, hearing and seeing "atın üstünde bir kız" (a girl atop a horse) along with practicing "oğlanın üstünde bir top" (a ball atop a boy), I wanted to break down the -ın ending of horse (at) and boy (oğlan). However, my usual Turkish grammar book is still in storage somewhere following my months long renovations project.

Hence my hope I could scare something up on the web. My expectations were low. What I found was gold.

I find it interesting this site was built by a man who's into a lot of heavy technical matters. I'm impressed, to put it gently.

Anyway, my thanks go to this fine fellow for producing another resource for me to sink my teeth into.

Maşallah!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I think the site you pointed out is a good one, but check this one out: www.exploreturkish.com. I'm up to 40 pages and am adding every pages almost every day. Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Have a look at Manisa Turkish at
http://www.turkishlanguage.co.uk

Here is a site description:
""The Turkish Language and its Grammar - The Turkish Language explained for English Speakers and How to Learn... Sounds of Turkish, Street Turkish and advice for visiting Turkey. Containing a few exercises and sound files for pronunciation examples. This website does not pretend to be a Course in Turkish, but rather it explains and answers some of the difficulties that the learner of Turkish may encounter along their learning curve..

Anonymous said...

I recommend www.machine-altaica.com. It is interactive: you give it a (grammatically correct) Turkish sentence, it translates it for you, both word-by-word and in near-English. There are sample sentences in Turkish you can copy and paste in. You can then modify them, to a limited extent (the available lexicons are fairly small). Except perhaps for commercial translating software, I know of nothing else that actually converts entire Turkish sentences to English ones.

moro85 said...

hello,iam marwa from egypt. iam learning turkish on my own iam finding it an intersting language but iam kinda lost maybe because iam studying on my own , so if u can give me some tips that help i will be grateful

Anonymous said...

I have found another goldmine for turkish language and grammar.

http://turkish.pgeorgalas.gr/indexEn.htm

It contains theory, many types of exercises, audio visual material, songs etc. It's worth having a look at it.

Jenny Lewis
Teaching Turkish to foreigners in Izmir.

Dennis said...

Jenny,

Thank you very much! This looks like a very good site; good enough to add it as a favorite to my blog.

I'll have that done shortly.