Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Translation exercise 1

Bob's site references some links to Turkish sites. That gave me the idea of trying to read Turkish news and see how much I can recognize. To the extent that I'm clueless, to that extent my motivation increases to work harder to learn more.

In this case, I chose this headline: Benzinde 4 yeni kuruş indirim. My translation is this: 4 new reductions of gasoline prices.

Since I had to struggle to get that much, that's my clue to work harder. My goal is to be able to finish reading a Turkish news article with a minimum of trips to my Turkish/English dictionary.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Hey! Nice to see you're back with Turkish! "Yeni kuruş" is the smaller unit of the reformed currency (100 yeni kuruş in 1 new lira), so "benzinde 4 yeni kuruş indirim" means a four-kuruş reduction in gas prices. Keep up the good work!

Dennis said...

Aha, a unit of money! Got it. At least I was in the ballpark. :^)

Teşekkürler!