Sunday, January 27, 2008

Apostrophe

The Explore Turkish site has a nice summary of apostrophes (kesme işareti) in Turkish.

I was already familiar with how it's used in proper nouns, especially as it pertains to locations. For example, from Boston would translate to Boston'den while at Boston would translate to Boston'da.

That same page has an example that underscores the importance of precision in your writing. Karın means stomach while kar'ın means "of snow" and karı'n means "your wife". Same letters with totally different meanings depending on where you use or don't use an apostrophe. Interesting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The explore turksih website seems to have closed. Has it been moved anywhere that anyone knows of? Will it ever be back? I found it so useful.

Dennis said...

Ouch! I didn't know that it was closed. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I'll remove the link and post an administrative note.